Transforming my Mind; is essential to WHO I AM
What do they say, I Am? vs. What do I say, I AM?
What are you thinking right now about yourself?
What are you thinking of your life?
What are you thinking about your present circumstances?
What are you thinking of others?
Your mind is a battlefield, there is constant warfare going on in the mind with the thoughts that you think, constant mind chatter. Your mind can heal, or your mind can hurt. The thoughts that you think are definitely shaping your life each and everyday. You may have thought some negative thoughts some time back, which you may not now even remember which today has manifested to bring about the circumstances that you are experiencing right now. Man is the sum total of his thoughts, for as a man thinketh in his heart so is he.
As Bob Marley sang: You can't run away from yourself.Your thoughts are like the hands of a skilled sculptor that is constantly shaping and modeling your mind and making you become the person and live the life that you are living today. Think about this seriously, many things that you have said about yourself, had become a reality, many thoughts that you have think about your self has become a reality in your life and your relationships with others. Your were constantly creating your own reality, so don't seek to blame others, take a good look at yourself, internalized before you externalize. Everything starts from within then manifests without, every manifested thing was conceived from thought. Someone had a thought about a television before it was actually made.
What makes up the Mind?
The mind is the faculty of a human being's reasoning and thoughts. It holds the power of imagination, recognition, and appreciation, and is responsible for processing feelings and emotions, resulting in attitudes and actions.----Wikipedia.
The mind is a psychological domain, the realm of the mind, is one of a person—their desires, intentions, ideals, and anxieties."
Therefore the state and condition of the mind can be changed, it can be renewed, thus bringing about a change in the well-being of a person.
How can I transform my mind, to transform my life?
"Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect."
There is a great challenge when it comes to the renewing of the mind. Renewing one’s mind is not merely changing from wrong conduct or worldly conduct, to good conduct. It is a change from operating without the guidance of the Holy Spirit to operating with the guidance of the Holy Spirit. The mind has a “spirit” or a mindset, it has a viewpoint, it has the power to perceive and detect, and it has a demeanor, a bearing, an attitude, a bent, so if it is not subjected under the supremacy of the Holy Spirit of God it can sway in the wrong direction. Romans 1:28-32 So with this understanding the questions are:
- What can a person do to renew their mind?
- What help can he or she expect from God in changing their way of thinking?
- What can be done to get rid of inappropriate thoughts in my mind?
- What role do my emotions play in determining what I think about? Many persons even though they may have made a commitment to serve God still may be caught up in major battles in their mind, they fall short especially in their thought life. Their old mindset has not leave them, the old way of thinking has not gone away so they are still caught up in worldly struggles with temptations, bitterness, malice, depression, fear, hopelessness, frustration, problems, lust, greed and bluntly-evil thoughts. The fall short of being successful in their spiritual walk because the battle still rages on in their mind.
However, in spite of the all this, the good news is that God has a solution to this battle. The solution is not to pray more, as some may think, even through praying is important. The solution is offered in this promise in Romans 12:2 “Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is – his good, pleasing and perfect will.”
The promise that God gave is so powerful and it have some awesome benefits and rewards, if you renew your mind you will:
- Be transformed completely from in inside out
- You will know and understand the will of God for your life
- The peace of God will be with you always
God will do His part in the renewal of your mind, but He will not do your part.
GOD’S PART (Given in His promises)
1.“For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline” 2 Timothy 1:7
God has promised three gifts in this promise they are: a spirit of power, a spirit of love, and a spirit of self-discipline.
We need to take these gifts and apply them to our lives. We need to have self-discipline to achieve and maintain anything, love to remain faithful and power to take a stand against the negativities that may try to take us down into negative thought patterns that may be detrimental to our lives.
2. “But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak of his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.”
What a blessed promise and assurance given to us, if we welcome the Holy Spirit to function in our lives. The truth of God’s will for our lives will be revealed to us, as the spirit will guide us into all truth, no more deceitful lies to take control of us, no more darkness in our understanding, no more easily carried away by lustful desires or thoughts, but the light of the truth will shine illuminating and bringing clarity of mind.
3. “If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.” James 1:5
God promised to give generously of His wisdom to us if we ask; this wisdom will help us greatly in our lives.
OUR PART (Our responsibility to ourselves)
- You have to take responsibility for renewing your mind, it is your mind! You need to learn to think godly, get rid of sinful attitudes, negative critical ways of thinking and selfish thoughts. We cannot stop the thoughts, but we can sure control how we react when we get the thoughts, if we entertain or dismiss them from our consciousness.
Most of what we think comes about from what we are feeding our minds, so we must tell our thoughts what to think, as what goes into our mind affects our whole life. We need to guard our mind by being careful with what we watch on TV, what we read, and what we listen to.
- We need to know what is God’s truth from what is our perception of truth We have to put God’s truth when we know it into action. A renewed mind should demonstrate a changed behavior.
- Stop letting your feelings control your thoughts
How easy it is to think positive thoughts when you are feeling good and negative thoughts when you are not feeling good. Feeling have a way of directing our actions most of the time, “for if it feels good then it must be the right thing to do,” how often has thing lead us into situations that we later regretted. We have to control our feeling and ensure that we think rationally at all times. This calls for maturity to discipline our feelings and thoughts and find a balance. Tell your feelings how to feel – in the right way.
“Right thinking” leads to “right actions,” which leads to “right feeling.”
If we change the order and put our feelings in front, it will drive us wherever we feel to go.
Here are some steps you can take to renew your mind from Philippians 4:8-9
- Always focus on whatever is true
- a personal
check up on yourself every day to see if you are adhering to step 1 to renew
your mind. Ask yourself, if what you are thinking today is true about yourself,
your circumstances, or someone else, or is it all a lie? Have you been living a
fantasy in your mind? Living in fear, living in doubt? This is not the truth.
- Look for scriptures, psalms and such like that will help you in applying the trait of truthfulness in your thinking, meditate on these words daily
- Filter every thought when you get them for impurity, and put boundaries on them so that they cannot mature into actions.
- Bring God into the mental conversation every time that you are evaluating your thoughts. The psalmist David asked in Psalm 51:10 “Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me.”
- Talk with others who are in the process of renewing their minds so that you can reinforce these new thought patterns in yourself as well as them.It will be a challenge and success will not come over night but over time as you persevere, with God’s help and your sincerity in the process you will definitely be able to renew your mind in righteousness.