The Attributes of a Virtuous Woman
“Who can find a virtuous woman? For her price is far above rubies.” Proverbs 31:10-31
Proverbs 31:10-31King James Version (KJV)
10 Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies.
11 The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil.
12 She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life.
13 She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands.
14 She is like the merchants' ships; she bringeth her food from afar.
15 She riseth also while it is yet night, and giveth meat to her household, and a portion to her maidens.
16 She considereth a field, and buyeth it: with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.
17 She girdeth her loins with strength, and strengtheneth her arms.
18 She perceiveth that her merchandise is good: her candle goeth not out by night.
19 She layeth her hands to the spindle, and her hands hold the distaff.
20 She stretcheth out her hand to the poor; yea, she reacheth forth her hands to the needy.
21 She is not afraid of the snow for her household: for all her household are clothed with scarlet.
22 She maketh herself coverings of tapestry; her clothing is silk and purple.
23 Her husband is known in the gates, when he sitteth among the elders of the land.
24 She maketh fine linen, and selleth it; and delivereth girdles unto the merchant.
25 Strength and honour are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come.
26 She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness.
27 She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness.
28 Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her.
29 Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou excellest them all.
30 Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth theLord, she shall be praised.
31 Give her of the fruit of her hands; and let her own works praise her in the gates.
Faith - A Virtuous Woman serves God with all of her heart, mind, and soul. She seeks His will for her life and follows His ways. (Proverbs 31: 26, Proverbs 31: 29-31) So she should:
- Know her divine role, who she is
- Know her purpose, embrace positive personality traits (sincere, trustworthy, integrity)
- Always walk with dignity and strength and know her strengths and weakness
- Make time for spiritual study, prayers and meditation on a daily basis and see this as priority
Marriage – A Virtuous Woman respects her husband. She does him good all the days of her life. She is trustworthy and a helpmeet. (Proverbs 31: 11- 12, Proverbs 31: 23, Proverbs 31: 28) So she should:
- Be mentally, emotionally and physically prepared for marriage
- Have self respect, self love and positive self esteem to make right choice of mate
- Know that her marriage vows are sacred also her body should be given to only her husband
- Know the value of teamwork (she is entering a partnership) and its ramifications
- Know how to deal with In-laws and extended family members in a civil way, with confusion and discord
Proverbs 18:22 “He who finds a wife finds a good thing and obtains favor from the LORD.”
Proverbs 14:1 “The wise woman builds her house, but with her own hands the foolish one tears hers down.”
Mothering - A Virtuous Woman teaches her children the ways of God, Godly principles. She nurtures her children with the love of God, disciplines them with care and wisdom, and trains them in the way they should go. (Proverbs 31: 28, Proverbs 31: 26) So she should:
- Be mentally, emotionally and physically prepared for sexual intimacy, pregnancy/child-bearing
- Know how to take care of children and how to cope and be responsive to their needs at various stages of their development
- Know how to nurture, discipline, educate in spiritual/godly principles and societal morals/ethics
- Be a role model to her children, upholding good values for them to emulate
- Teach her daughters to be virtuous woman and her sons to be responsible. Helps to grow good character in her children
Health – A Virtuous Woman cares for her body. She prepares healthy food for her family. (Proverbs 31: 14 – 15, Proverbs 31: 17) So she should:
- Take care of her own health, so that she can be there to care for her family, especially her children
- Ensure that her family have nutritional food, should she need education on this, she should ensure she gets it
- Only make healthy grocery choices and learn to cook if she need to
- Ensure that her family medicals are in order
- Keep an adequately stocked medicine cabinet
Service - A Virtuous Woman serves her husband, her family, her friends, and her neighbors with a gentle and loving spirit. She is charitable. (Proverbs 31: 12, Proverbs 31: 15, Proverbs 31: 20) So she should:
- Show respect to her husband, be interested in his welfare, job, and give support especially if she stays at home and does not work
- Promote good relationships with friends and family
- Show her generosity and kindness for others
Finances - A Virtuous Woman seeks her husband’s approval before making purchases and spends money wisely. She is careful to purchase quality items which her family needs. (Proverbs 31: 14, Proverbs 31: 16, Proverbs 31: 18) So she should:
- Know how to manage the finances, spending money wisely, and saving where she can
- Make wise purchase choices of necessities for herself and family
- Get financial education if needed. If possible think about making good investments which will benefit her family
Industry – A Virtuous Woman works willingly with her hands. She sings praises to God and does not grumble while completing her tasks. (Proverbs 31: 13, Proverbs 31: 16, Proverbs 31: 24, Proverbs 31: 31) So she should:
- Be diligent and industrious
- See taking care of her family as pleasurable
- Be cheerful, not complaining and nagging in doing her household chores
Homemaking – A Virtuous Woman is a homemaker. She creates an inviting atmosphere of warmth and love for her family and guests. She uses hospitality to minister to those around her. (Proverbs 31: 15, Proverbs 31: 20 – 22, Proverbs 31: 27) So she should:
- Keep the home clean, tidy and sanitary
- Ensure that the home has colorful decor and warmth so that her family can be comfortable
- Select good quality ergonomic furniture,fine linens, good mattresses, and beds that are comfortable for good rest
Time - A Virtuous Woman uses her time wisely. She works diligently to complete her daily tasks. She does not spend time dwelling on those things that do not please the Lord. (Proverbs 31: 13, Proverbs 31: 19, Proverbs 31: 27) So she should:
- Utilize her time wisely, good time management
- Spend quality time with her children on a daily basis, speaking with them and finding out if they have any cares or concerns
- Help children with their homework and be interest in their school activities: make sure that PTA meetings are attended
- Spend quality with her husband
Beauty – A Virtuous Woman is a woman of worth and beauty. She has the inner beauty that only comes from God. She uses her creativity and sense of style to create beauty in her life and the lives of her loved ones. (Proverbs 31: 10, Proverbs 31: 21 – 22, Proverbs 31: 24 -25) So she should:
- Dress appropriately and modestly
- Ensure she looks radiant for her husband, she knows that her beauty is for his eyes only
- Pay attention to her hygiene
1 Peter 3:3-4
“Don’t be concerned about the outward beauty that depends on fancy hairstyles, expensive jewelry, or beautiful clothes. You should be known for the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God.”